Skip to main content

Buy an onion

 I went grocery shopping Saturday, and, I've gotta say, I got a little miffed at Kroger. And by "a little miffed," I mean really fucking pissed. I'm trying to find as good of a balance as possible among flavor, affordability, convenience, and nutrition. I really wanted some onions, and there were no canned onions. Then I realized I don't think I've ever seen canned onions, so I Googled it. Turns out, canned onions don't hold up well. And then I found myself in the produce section looking at onions when I saw a box, $5, EBT eligible, of julienned onions but no indication of how much onion was in the box, so I grabbed a box and threw it in the scale. About 0.6lb for $5. The same onion, whole, cost $1.39/lb. That means they're selling 83 cents of onion for $5. That's about a 500% markup. In more real world terms, if it takes you 5 minutes to slice an onion, spending $5 on that sliced onion is reasonable if you earn $50/hr. So, long story short, they're way overcharging you on that particular convenience. Buy an onion. Cut it with a knife.

Now, what would you say if I told you you could make yourself and whoever is eating with you a nice little meal, not too unhealthy, pretty damn tasty, and cheaper than a single Big Mac meal in 26 minutes? Equipment-wise, all you need are 1 pot, 1 pan, 1 knife, 1 strainer, 2 spoons, some tongs, and 1 cutting board or plate. Ingredient-wise (with prices from my local Kroger; yours will likely vary), you need some orzo ($1.33 for 16oz), pork chops ($5 for 5), a can of sweet peas ($0.89), a can of sweet yellow corn ($0.99), 1 onion (~$0.87), some apple cider vinegar ($1.69 for 16oz), a can of chicken broth ($0.89) and a little salt, black pepper, and jarred garlic. So, for the ingredients, in total, we're talking $11.66 (for actual usage, probably closer to $5 or $6). For comparison, a Big Mac meal about a mile and a half from my house is $11.99. Also, we're not eating all of the ingredients (so we can use them again), and this will feed more than 1 person. Let's fuckin go.

Starting off, I dumped about half the can of broth into a pot, then added water to dilute it. The broth was "low sodium," but was still a pretty good amount of salt in it. I went with about a 3 or 4-to-1 ratio of water to broth, then I dumped in half the can of peas and half the can of corn (both rinsed, of course, which was honestly the longest part of the prep time). This amount could easily feed 4 people, so adjust as needed. I brought that to a boil, then added about 4oz of dried orzo and let that all boil together. Incidentally, while the pot's coming to a boil, go ahead and start preheating your pan and dice some onion. Also, be sure not to splash the damn broth on your hand and burn yourself and yelp like a little bitch because you haven't burned yourself in a while. I used about 1/3 of my onion for 3 servings. Also, please note that orzo doesn't pick up flavor quite like rice or some other pastas, so you could probably just use water to save $0.45 in broth if you like. If you do use just water, feel free to salt it.

I seasoned my pork chops with some salt and pepper and started them in the pan with about a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the first side was browned, I flipped them and added in the diced onion. I let the orzo mix keep boiling.

Pro tip: cut the fat on the edge of your pork chops so they don't curve up and look like shit like mine did. The flavor will still be fine if you don't; this is just an appearance thing, and mine appeared like ass.

Once the pork chop was fully cooked (there's probably a temperature you could check if you're not comfortable cooking pork yet), I threw a little black pepper on each side and gave them an extra little sear to stick the pepper on before pulling them out to let them rest. Of course, because of all the extra moisture in the pan, I ended up rinsing some of that shit off, but it's all good. Just adds flavor to the onions.

Once the pork chops were out, I dumped in a couple tablespoons of jarred garlic and let the onions and garlic cook in the leftover butter, oil, and pork fat. Once again, don't fucking burn your dumbass hand. I haven't been cooking as much in recent months, and it showed.

Meanwhile, the orzo was about finished, so I took it off the heat for a moment so I wouldn't spill boiling pain on my toes. For once tonight, I wasn't acting like a dumbass.

A splash of apple cider vinegar went into the pan, and I let that lightly simmer and reduce to thicken up a little bit. In case you didn't know, apple goes great with pork. I've got some other apple and pork recipes that'll give you a huge stomach boner.

While that reduced, I drained the orzo mix and let it start cooling a little bit. Alright. Almost done, I promise.

Lay down a bed of the orzo mix, top it with some sliced pork chop, then spoon some of the onion, garlic, vinegar goodness on top. Simple, fast, decent nutrition, and quite inexpensive. The only skill you need is dicing an onion, and you can do that while the pork chop and orzo are cooking - save yourself the $4. The orzo mix didn't have the strongest flavor, but, since the onion topping was fucking exploding with it, it all balanced out quite well. In the future, though, I'm going to save my broth for rice or noodles. Also, be sure that, if you don't use all of the cans of veggies, that you store them covered in the fridge. You don't necessarily have to use a new container (i.e. not the can) anymore, but I prefer to transfer it because there are arguments about preserving quality and cutting down odors. 

26 minutes. $11. Let's fucking eat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't understand food

Part 1 the morning after, while eating a sausage, egg, and cheese everything bagel from Bergen Bagels Last night, I had the pleasure, privilege, and audacity to eat at a Brooklyn restaurant named Aska . I know it's cliche to refer to a fancy restaurant meal as a life-changing experience, but this was straight up paradigm-shattering. I've written before about food being a medium of communication, about how I strive to reduce food waste as much as I can, about sharing our cultures and stories with each other through the meals we create, but seeing how Chef Fredrik Berselius is able to do this at such an intricate, elegant, and elevated level is both humbling and inspiring. The experience started before the first bite. I walked into the 10 table restaurant, and they knew me by name. I was shown to my table (right in the middle of the place, looking directly into the open kitchen), and they even pulled my chair out for me and pushed it up under me. I was a little uncomfortable with...

Why not give a shit?

About a month ago, I cooked up a big pot of a miso vegan stew. It was a Sunday evening, so I knew I needed to cook enough for Sunday night dinner and Monday's lunch. A vendor was taking us out for dinner on Monday, so I needed enough to cover Tuesday's lunch, too. I had plans with a friend on Tuesday night, so I wouldn't have time to cook, so I needed enough for Tuesday dinner and Wednesday lunch, too, so I said, and I quote, "Fuck it. I'll just cook enough for the week." Unfortunately, as I packed away my leftovers that night, I realized that I cooked enough for a week and a half. Normally, that wouldn't be a huge issue, except that I was leaving town Friday morning and wouldn't be back until Monday evening and did not have room in my freezer to store more than a bowl. Luckily, I was able to pawn a few bowls off on coworkers, so it all worked out alright. However, when I told this story to someone close to me, they said I should think about donating t...

The hibiscus flower has bloomed, day 3

Now y'all know I love to experiment, and I generally go into my experiments with a plan, an experimental design, if you will. But after playing for a few days with squid and not royally fucking anything up, I was feeling a little restless, so I decided to just say "yes" to whatever popped into my head. Dry fried ginger, pattypan squash, and red onion? Sure, that sounds like a good combo. Purple sweet potato, shishitos, and sweet onion dry fried? Why not? What if I dump some some butter into that ginger/squash/red onion pan? I bet that will taste good. How about I dust some chopped squid with salt and oat flour and squirt it with some fresh lemon juice? I'm sure that will be fine. And I bet what will be even better will be tossing that squid into the ginger pan. That's when I remembered how much I loved that squid that was cooked low and slow. Unfortunately, I was out of white wine, so I looked in my fridge and saw some high pulp Simply Orange orange juice. I poure...