Skip to main content

Budget cooking: updated late night snack

So you remember those cherry tomatoes I cooked up a week or two back, right? A little flour, some salt and pepper, a bit of basil, some asiago, garlic, and butter sauce? Those were tasty. Those were quick. Well, those are outdated now.

Life started much the same, with the tomatoes halved and stuck cut side down in some flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Oh, but what's that? A new player has entered the match? Meet thinly sliced mini cucumber.

Of course we cook the tomatoes in some butter like last time.

But while those are going, we're gonna dredge both sides of the cucumber slices in the seasoned flour, as well. 

I didn't cook the tomatoes quite as long this time. I wanted the flour to be cooked, but still just a tad sticky. Oh, and look at that black pepper in there. Mm mm fuckin great!

Once the tomatoes were out, the cucumbers went in. I let them get a little crispier than the tomato, but be careful, because those thin little bastards cook fast.

After that, it was merely a matter of setting out the tomato halves, then topping them with the cucumbers. Super simple, but looks fancy as fuck. I just used my tongs to move each slice from the pan to the tomato. If you're all fancy, you can use tweezer or something. If you're more in the simple mindset, a fork or spoon would work, but it might be tough to line them up. Don't mind the tomato butter on the plate; it's a midnight snack, so I wasn't going to be wiping shit off.

Once you've got your tomatoes with the cuke hats, just hit that shit with some freshly shredded asiago and a little chopped basil, then chow down like a fat man who's hungry at midnight. You know. Like me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't understand food

Part 1 the morning after, while eating a sausage, egg, and cheese everything bagel from Bergen Bagels Last night, I had the pleasure, privilege, and audacity to eat at a Brooklyn restaurant named Aska . I know it's cliche to refer to a fancy restaurant meal as a life-changing experience, but this was straight up paradigm-shattering. I've written before about food being a medium of communication, about how I strive to reduce food waste as much as I can, about sharing our cultures and stories with each other through the meals we create, but seeing how Chef Fredrik Berselius is able to do this at such an intricate, elegant, and elevated level is both humbling and inspiring. The experience started before the first bite. I walked into the 10 table restaurant, and they knew me by name. I was shown to my table (right in the middle of the place, looking directly into the open kitchen), and they even pulled my chair out for me and pushed it up under me. I was a little uncomfortable with...

Why not give a shit?

About a month ago, I cooked up a big pot of a miso vegan stew. It was a Sunday evening, so I knew I needed to cook enough for Sunday night dinner and Monday's lunch. A vendor was taking us out for dinner on Monday, so I needed enough to cover Tuesday's lunch, too. I had plans with a friend on Tuesday night, so I wouldn't have time to cook, so I needed enough for Tuesday dinner and Wednesday lunch, too, so I said, and I quote, "Fuck it. I'll just cook enough for the week." Unfortunately, as I packed away my leftovers that night, I realized that I cooked enough for a week and a half. Normally, that wouldn't be a huge issue, except that I was leaving town Friday morning and wouldn't be back until Monday evening and did not have room in my freezer to store more than a bowl. Luckily, I was able to pawn a few bowls off on coworkers, so it all worked out alright. However, when I told this story to someone close to me, they said I should think about donating t...

Perspective

 I used to drive a 1986 pickup truck that was a heap of trouble on wheels. Mind you, I learned to drive in 2002. That piece of shit loved to just, you know, die. In the middle of intersections. While turning onto side streets. While accelerating from a stop sign. While braking for a stop sign. While cranking. It just died whenever it felt like it. It had AM radio and hand crank windows. That's literally it. No FM, no AC or heat. There were seatbelts for 2 of the 3 seats. I fucking hated that truck. On the other hand, it was my truck. I drove it to church, to work, and to the library; that was as far as I was allowed to take it, and I took it all of those places. I remember the first time I got it to idle while parked. I remember singing "The Prayer" over its dying engine multiple times. I think my younger brother probably has some flashbacks of some of those moments. But, as old, beaten up, shitty, annoying, and objectively terrible as it was, it sure was nice to have it ...