Skip to main content

Budget cooking: Late night snack

For the past 4 weeks, I have kept my grocery bill under $50/week. This includes not only food items, but also a new baking pan and some dishwasher detergent. I'll be doing a few posts of "budget cooking" to show a few ideas for how to keep food costs down because EVERYTHING IS SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE GODDAMN

Anyway, I was feeling a mite peckish one evening around 11:30 and decided I needed a snack. Unfortunately, living on a tighter budget means I skipped getting things like Doritos, so I had to come up with something using the few ingredients I did have. I settled on a handful of cherry tomatoes, a clove of garlic, and a few basil leaves.

I halved the tomatoes, gave them a light sprinkling of salt, then laid them cut side down on a plate of all purpose flour seasoned with salt and cracked black pepper.

Meanwhile, I crushed the garlic clove, chopped up my basil, and went ahead and sliced a couple tablespoons of salted butter while my non-stick pan was heating up.

Once the pan was hot, I added the butter in and let it melt, then placed the tomatoes (cut side down again) into the butter. I let them cook until the flour was a nice bit of golden brown, then flipped them and let the skin sides cook for about 90 seconds or so.

While the tomatoes were finishing, I grated a little bit of asiago and placed the mound of cheese into the center of my plate.

Once the tomatoes were finished, I placed them in a circle around the cheese, dropped a little basil onto them, and poured the melted garlic tomato butter onto the asiago to melt it a little for a nice little topping sauce thing.

The entire box of tomatoes cost me $4.99, a pack of 4 sticks of butter cost $4.29, the full box of basil was $3.79, the block of asiago was $7.29. I've had the flour, salt, and pepper for a while, so have no idea on that costs. I used about 1/6 of the tomatoes in the box ($0.83), about 1/8 of the stick of butter ($0.13), maybe 1/20 of the box of basil ($0.19), and around 1/16 of the block of asiago ($0.45), for a total cost of $1.60 and 20-25 minutes of time. We'll keep this going for a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't understand food

Part 1 the morning after, while eating a sausage, egg, and cheese everything bagel from Bergen Bagels Last night, I had the pleasure, privilege, and audacity to eat at a Brooklyn restaurant named Aska . I know it's cliche to refer to a fancy restaurant meal as a life-changing experience, but this was straight up paradigm-shattering. I've written before about food being a medium of communication, about how I strive to reduce food waste as much as I can, about sharing our cultures and stories with each other through the meals we create, but seeing how Chef Fredrik Berselius is able to do this at such an intricate, elegant, and elevated level is both humbling and inspiring. The experience started before the first bite. I walked into the 10 table restaurant, and they knew me by name. I was shown to my table (right in the middle of the place, looking directly into the open kitchen), and they even pulled my chair out for me and pushed it up under me. I was a little uncomfortable with...

Why not give a shit?

About a month ago, I cooked up a big pot of a miso vegan stew. It was a Sunday evening, so I knew I needed to cook enough for Sunday night dinner and Monday's lunch. A vendor was taking us out for dinner on Monday, so I needed enough to cover Tuesday's lunch, too. I had plans with a friend on Tuesday night, so I wouldn't have time to cook, so I needed enough for Tuesday dinner and Wednesday lunch, too, so I said, and I quote, "Fuck it. I'll just cook enough for the week." Unfortunately, as I packed away my leftovers that night, I realized that I cooked enough for a week and a half. Normally, that wouldn't be a huge issue, except that I was leaving town Friday morning and wouldn't be back until Monday evening and did not have room in my freezer to store more than a bowl. Luckily, I was able to pawn a few bowls off on coworkers, so it all worked out alright. However, when I told this story to someone close to me, they said I should think about donating t...

Perspective

 I used to drive a 1986 pickup truck that was a heap of trouble on wheels. Mind you, I learned to drive in 2002. That piece of shit loved to just, you know, die. In the middle of intersections. While turning onto side streets. While accelerating from a stop sign. While braking for a stop sign. While cranking. It just died whenever it felt like it. It had AM radio and hand crank windows. That's literally it. No FM, no AC or heat. There were seatbelts for 2 of the 3 seats. I fucking hated that truck. On the other hand, it was my truck. I drove it to church, to work, and to the library; that was as far as I was allowed to take it, and I took it all of those places. I remember the first time I got it to idle while parked. I remember singing "The Prayer" over its dying engine multiple times. I think my younger brother probably has some flashbacks of some of those moments. But, as old, beaten up, shitty, annoying, and objectively terrible as it was, it sure was nice to have it ...