Skip to main content

Quick roasted veggies

I forgot to thaw out meat for dinner last night, I was hungry, I didn't want to wait to eat, and my motivation is still running low. Solution? Oven roasted veggies.

I've got a plethora of roots on hand because they keep pretty well and I keep forgetting to use them, so I decided to go with parsnip, carrot, potato, and radish. I peeled all but the radish, then chopped them all up into various sized chunks and dumped them into a casserole dish.

I poured a couple tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over the top, dumped in a tablespoon or so of kosher salt, and cracked a generous portion of black pepper across, then mixed it all up.

Finally, I dumped a bunch of shredded parmesan on top because cheese is life.

Half an hour in the oven at 350 worked out pretty perfectly. The veggies still had a little crunch to them (important to me), the cheese got just a touch crispy (also important to me), and it tasted pretty damn good. I would recommend that you dunk the veggies on top into the oil on the bottom before eating them. Definitely enhances the flavor and texture.

Next time, I'll probably let the veggies bake, mixing them about halfway through to get everything coated in the goodness, then adding the cheese and broiling it for a minute. That should help with the consistency of cooking as well as giving a little browning to the cheese.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't understand food

Part 1 the morning after, while eating a sausage, egg, and cheese everything bagel from Bergen Bagels Last night, I had the pleasure, privilege, and audacity to eat at a Brooklyn restaurant named Aska . I know it's cliche to refer to a fancy restaurant meal as a life-changing experience, but this was straight up paradigm-shattering. I've written before about food being a medium of communication, about how I strive to reduce food waste as much as I can, about sharing our cultures and stories with each other through the meals we create, but seeing how Chef Fredrik Berselius is able to do this at such an intricate, elegant, and elevated level is both humbling and inspiring. The experience started before the first bite. I walked into the 10 table restaurant, and they knew me by name. I was shown to my table (right in the middle of the place, looking directly into the open kitchen), and they even pulled my chair out for me and pushed it up under me. I was a little uncomfortable with...

Why not give a shit?

About a month ago, I cooked up a big pot of a miso vegan stew. It was a Sunday evening, so I knew I needed to cook enough for Sunday night dinner and Monday's lunch. A vendor was taking us out for dinner on Monday, so I needed enough to cover Tuesday's lunch, too. I had plans with a friend on Tuesday night, so I wouldn't have time to cook, so I needed enough for Tuesday dinner and Wednesday lunch, too, so I said, and I quote, "Fuck it. I'll just cook enough for the week." Unfortunately, as I packed away my leftovers that night, I realized that I cooked enough for a week and a half. Normally, that wouldn't be a huge issue, except that I was leaving town Friday morning and wouldn't be back until Monday evening and did not have room in my freezer to store more than a bowl. Luckily, I was able to pawn a few bowls off on coworkers, so it all worked out alright. However, when I told this story to someone close to me, they said I should think about donating t...

Perspective

 I used to drive a 1986 pickup truck that was a heap of trouble on wheels. Mind you, I learned to drive in 2002. That piece of shit loved to just, you know, die. In the middle of intersections. While turning onto side streets. While accelerating from a stop sign. While braking for a stop sign. While cranking. It just died whenever it felt like it. It had AM radio and hand crank windows. That's literally it. No FM, no AC or heat. There were seatbelts for 2 of the 3 seats. I fucking hated that truck. On the other hand, it was my truck. I drove it to church, to work, and to the library; that was as far as I was allowed to take it, and I took it all of those places. I remember the first time I got it to idle while parked. I remember singing "The Prayer" over its dying engine multiple times. I think my younger brother probably has some flashbacks of some of those moments. But, as old, beaten up, shitty, annoying, and objectively terrible as it was, it sure was nice to have it ...